Saturday, April 16, 2005

Blogging Sarah's birthday 2

9:15 a.m.

Sixteen people showed up for the party. There were lots of dubious comments as we gathered on the front lawn. Rick Reha said he was was with Sarah (he is definitely not a morning person). Mark Stahnke said he was going to stay outside in case there was an explosion.

No explosion--just hiding under the covers.

I went into our bedroom and turned off the fan. Four-year-old Kora Behrens joined me, bringing a couple of Tootsie Rolls. I motioned for the folks in the livingroom to sing.

At the sound of "Happy Birthday" Sarah covered up her head with the blankets. Kora and I came to the head of the bed and Sarah peaked out to see who was with me. Kora gave her the Tootsie Rolls. I told Sarah I loved her and she loves me because she accepted the reality of waking up to a surprise birthday party.

Boo is an artist in food. She had written "Happy birthday, Sarah" in whipped cream and carmel. I brought the cake back to our room for Sarah to see.

Then, while she was getting dressed, Lynn Reha and I dished up the desert of everyone. When Sarah joined the party, Bev Benner led us in singing "happy birthday" again. Bev was late and didn't realize we had sung it already. But it's worth singing "once, twice, three times a lady."

I had the dessert planned but no drink. Rick Reha put on hot water for tea. What are friends for if not to make up for one's shortcomings.

Sarah is such a sweetheart. She put up with my surprise with good humor. I bless the day she was born.

No comments: